Tuesday 20 September 2011

Vintage Dresses, a Husband Doing Housework and Changing Mats!

I have a great love for vintage items, crockery, fabric, clothes, furniture...you name it I adore it. The 50's and 60's are my favourite, mainly because the 50's were very much the housewife at home with the husband going out to work and not changing nappies, things were about to change so much and the items from this period are carrying almost an idyllic, innocent way of life in them. The 60's because things went haywire in design, the bolder the better, there was no more fear of mixing colours, it was about making a statement and it was exciting.

So you can imagine my joy at winning a fabulous 60's dress on Ebay. I'm always on the lookout for them but the sizing is so different from nowadays that it takes a while to find and then win a dress that will fit me. My dress arrived in the post and I tried it on immediately, it fitted like a glove and looked fabulous.

Fast forward to the weekend, Long Suffering Husband is off on the QM2 (working) and has decided to put on a few loads of washing (can you see where this is going?), first load finishes and unbeknownst to me my dress is in there, now this is fine because I knew the dress could go in the wash but then it passes from the washing machine to the tumble drier.

Fast forward to me emptying the tumble drier and finding my vintage, original sixties dress now only capable of fitting a 12 year old...I did try to shoehorn myself in to it but I'm quite fond of breathing and unfortunately this dress no longer allowed me to do that and that was without the zip being done up!

Fast forward to LSH now doing the ironing (I know, I know!), now anyone who has a man in their life knows that they do like to do ironing the manly way, as in setting the iron to the hottest setting. What LSH is unaware of is that our son's school trousers scorch slightly on the medium setting, not so much marking the trousers but leaving black smears over the iron.

Fast forward to Monday evening, LSH is now the QM2 and I am sewing, I am making a changing mat with the last of some Tanya Whelan fabric I have, there is just enough (again...I sure you can see where this is going), I sew two pieces of fabric together, back to back, flip them right sides together, make sure the iron isn't on hot, iron the seam flat...AAAGGGHHH...huge black streaks make their way across my fabric. I would love to type the words that came out of my mouth but my mother reads this and apparently i am not too old to be told off!

Fast forward to the next day and we are now a two iron household, one for LSH and one for me...mine is far superior...of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment